In today’s ever-growing world of data, high-speed networks are a must. As businesses continue to rely on efficient data centers and networks, there is an increasing demand for faster and more powerful solutions. The 100G QSFP28 transceiver is one such solution that has become increasingly popular, offering the advantages of both QSFP+ and QSFP28 technologies. In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of upgrading to QSFP28, the most popular QSFP28 module in 2023, and compare the 100G QSFP28 SR4 and 100G QSFP28 LR4 modules.
QSFP+ Upgrade to QSFP28, What are the Advantages?
The 100G QSFP is an advanced version of the QSFP+ (Quad Small Form-factor Pluggable Plus) transceiver, offering a host of benefits over its predecessor. As we upgrade from QSFP+ to QSFP28, we can see the following advantages:
- Higher bandwidth: QSFP supports 100Gbps bandwidth, which is four times the capacity of QSFP+ (40Gbps). This enables faster data transmission and better performance in data centers and other high-speed applications.
- Increased port density: QSFP28 modules have the same physical size as QSFP+ modules, making it possible to fit more ports into the same space, leading to higher port density and improved space utilization.
- Enhanced energy efficiency: QSFP28 modules consume less power than QSFP+ modules, reducing energy costs and contributing to a greener environment.
- Backward compatibility: QSFP28 modules are backward compatible with QSFP+ ports, allowing for a seamless transition when upgrading your network infrastructure.
The Most Popular 100G QSFP Module in 2023
As of 2023, the 100G QSFP28 SR4 (100GBASE-SR4) module has emerged as the most popular QSFP28 transceiver in the market. The 100G QSFP28 SR4 is ideal for short-range, multi-mode fiber connections in data centers and enterprise networks, supporting link lengths of up to 100 meters over OM4 fiber. Its popularity can be attributed to its excellent performance, cost-effectiveness, and widespread compatibility with a variety of network equipment.
QSFP28-100G-SR4 vs 100GBASE-LR4, What is the Difference?
When comparing the QSFP28 100G SR4 and 100G LR4 modules, we can find several key differences:
- Transmission distance: The 100G QSFP28 SR4 module is designed for short-range applications, with a maximum transmission distance of 100 meters over OM4 fiber. In contrast, the 100G QSFP28 LR4 module supports longer-range connections, with a reach of up to 10 kilometers over single-mode fiber.
- Fiber type: The 100G QSFP28 SR4 module uses multi-mode fiber, while the 100G QSFP28 LR4 module employs single-mode fiber.
- Cost: The 100G QSFP28 SR4 module is generally more cost-effective than the 100G QSFP28 LR4 module due to its shorter transmission range and lower power consumption.
The 100G QSFP28 SR4 module is ideally suited for various applications, including:
- Data center interconnects: The 100G SR4 module is perfect for high-speed, short-range connections between data center switches, routers, and servers.
- Enterprise networks: The QSFP28 SR4 module can be used to upgrade existing enterprise networks, providing faster data transmission and increased capacity to meet growing demands.
- High-performance computing (HPC) clusters: The high-speed data transfer capabilities of the 100G QSFP28 SR4 module make it ideal for HPC clusters, where low latency and high bandwidth are crucial.
- Cloud service providers: The 100Gbase- SR4 module can be used to build high-speed connections between data centers and cloud service providers, ensuring efficient and reliable data transfers.
In conclusion, the 100G QSFP28 transceiver is an excellent choice for businesses looking to upgrade their network infrastructure to meet the demands of today’s data-intensive world. The 100GBASE-SR4 module, in particular, has emerged as a popular and cost-effective solution for short-range, high-speed connections in various applications, including data centers, enterprise networks, and HPC clusters. If you are considering upgrading your network, we recommend purchasing optical modules at QSFPTEK.COM